What exactly is Physical Anthropology?

The branch of anthropology that deals with human evolutionary biology, physical variation, and classification

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Week 1 Assigment #2

1. I decided to go with Jean-Baptiste Lamarck because he has a very similar idea to darwins theory of nature.

2. Lamarck was a great guy and wrote many novels about his theory for others to learn about the science of which he believes.

 http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/history/lamarck.html

3. Its not the individuals that evolve its the population. Meaning that individuals inherit everything the know from generations before. And they pass on the same traits but evolution doesn't occur with in a generations it happens between the generations. Lamarck said " Time and favorable conditions are the two principals. Darwins theory is shown in this that traits do pass over in time through generations.

4. I do believe that Darwin could have still developed his own theory without the help of Jean-Baptiste Lamarck's theory. Darwin was a great man and had many other theorist that would of lead him to this theory.

5. The attitude of the churches didn't really affect Darwin because he has his own theory and that was what he was going to believe. The churches didn't want to except this theory because they didn't like the way it was being tough!

4 comments:

  1. Hello Alli I slightly disagree with Darwin not being affected by what the churches had to say about his theory. I think that Darwin did not like confrontation, so instead of addressing the issue he just ignored the what the churches said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alli, I also slightly disagree with the last question. I too think that the churhes influenced Darwin because the subject was so controversial. I agree with the rest of your ideas. I think that Lamarack and Darwin had similar ideas that traits pass over in time through generations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Alli,

    I agree with you about the churches. I don't think that the churches had any affect on Darwin whatsoever. He believed in what he did and no one was going to sway him or stop him from writing about his findings. I also chose Lamarck. I however didn't look up his books yet but plan to. His theories quite interested me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have liked to have seen an explanation of Lamarck's work in #2. Also, its important to recognize that due in part to the church's influence, Darwin delayed publishing his results for over two decades.

    ReplyDelete