What exactly is Physical Anthropology?

The branch of anthropology that deals with human evolutionary biology, physical variation, and classification

Thursday, November 18, 2010

week 5


The Piltdown man is a hoax that is concerning the finding of remains of and unknown human. The hoax are the finding of skull bones that were collected in the early 1900’s found while digging in pits in the town of Piltdown which is in the rolling hills of Sussex, which is a country in southeast England. These remains where different from any living human. Darwin said that the skulls were thick and appeared rather primitive. This Piltdown Hoax is one of the biggest and most well known Hoax ever.

I believe that human faults came into play hear because I don’t believe anyone ever thought that they remains where going to be tested. The impact on this for humans wouldn’t be good because who would have anything to argue about when it comes to science.


The Piltdown man hoax continued going on because at the time of discovery the scientist believe that the modern brain was larger and the evidence of the forgery tried to make the true and with the forgery evidence it was true. This forgery last for 40 years because the people wanted to believe it. So for 40 years inside the museum that hinton and others know Piltdown was a forgery and not one said anything. People have even accused Kenneth Oakley of perpetrating that cover up by not coming out and naming Martin Hinton as the hoaxer. He suspected but had no proof and with not proof he wouldn’t say.

I don’t believe that it is going to be possible to remove the human figure from science. I believe humans are to involved and cant help it up want to discover new and evolving things. I do not think that anyone could make the desire go away from studying about these things in history. I believe to stop forgery from ever happening in science again that things need to be handled more carefully and make sure only current people get to handle the things.

The life lesson I received from this was that everything needs to be tested more then once and that I need to make sure what I’m doing it right and that everything is accurate!

1 comment:

  1. Good job with the exception of the question of the positive aspects of science. What characteristics of science allowed this hoax to be uncovered? I'm not referring to the techni ques (though I would have liked a bit on that as well), but on the aspects of the scientific process itself which made it almost inevitable that the truth would come out.

    ReplyDelete